Both Dylan McKay AND Brandon Walsh wanted Kelly Taylor. She turned them down. Stupid! She had a coke head for a mom. She did a bunch of coke herself when dating artist boyfriend Colin. She messed around with hot guy Jake (Grant Show) from Melrose Place. Everybody loved Kelly Taylor on Beverly Hills, 90210. Well, everyone except for me. I thought she was a spoiled brat and very materialistic and stuck up.
Kelly Taylor was portrayed by actress Jennie Garth. Jennie has done other work but will always be known as Kelly Taylor. Jennifer Eve Garth was born on April 3, 1972 in Urbana, Illinois. The family moved to Arizona when she was 13 and then to Los Angeles a few years later. After only a few months in Los Angeles, Jennie landed her first major role as Erica McCray on the TV show A Brand New Life. It only lasted eight episodes, but still……
A year later, Jennie Garth became Kelly Taylor on Beverly Hills, 90210. Jennie and fellow cast members Ian Ziering, Tori Spelling, and Brian Austin Green were the only cast members to remain on the series for the full ten seasons until it ended in 2000. She also played Kelly Taylor on the spin-offs Melrose Place and 90210.
Jennie Garth had another big role as Valerie Tyler in the TV show What I Like About You which also starred Amanda Bynes. Even though she appeared on the show for all four seasons, she will always be Kelly Taylor to me.
Jennie appeared on Season 5 of Dancing with the Stars in 2007. It really bothered me that she was so good but had so little self-esteem. I guess it bothered me because I can relate. I felt sad when she fell on live TV with hot and sexy partner Derek Hough. At least she got to fall with Derek. I wouldn’t mind that at all. I guess I’m not sad for her after all. I think I forget that celebrities are human. I imagined she would have great self-esteem because she was a star on Beverly Hills 90210, but she’s human after all.
I’ve seen Jennie on a number of talk shows (and Dancing with the Stars) and she really seems like a down to earth nice person. I never sensed any of the bad Kelly Taylor qualities in her. She is a mom to three girls and continues to work in the business
- Is a long-time sufferer of migraine headaches.
- Is a vegetarian.
- Dropped out of high school her junior year. She received her diploma later.
- Donates a lot of time and money to the American Heart Association.
- Close friends with Tiffani Amber Thiessen even though their characters were enemies on 90210.
- Auditioned for the role of Kelly Kapowski on Saved by the Bell which went to Tiffani Amber Thiessen.
- Speaks Italian.
- Has a leaky heart valve. That doesn’t sound good.
- Growing up she thought she would go to college and open a dance studio.
- Jennie appeared on the game show “Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader” in 2008 and won $100,000 for her charity. Yay! That takes self-esteem. I would worry that I’m not smarter than a 5th grader.
- She starred in a web series called Garden Party in 2010 which showed parents how they can promote healthy eating in their children. I’m sure glad my mom never saw that show. Gimme another Twinkie.
- A ten-episode reality show called The Jennie Garth Project aired in 2014 on HGTV. It followed her as she renovated a home for herself and her three daughters.
I really have no dirt on Jennie and therefore have not enjoyed writing this blog. Just kidding! She seems like a great person which helps the ongoing sad reputation of Hollywood. Garth is currently filming episodes of BH90210, the remake of the hit show where she played Kelly Taylor.
I’ve got to go. Beverly Hills, 90210 is on right now. Kelly is stuck inside a burning house. Oh no! Will she make it out?