I was jealous of her. I saw her all the time in my teen magazines. She was a tomboy just like me. She liked to skateboard just like me. She was cute just like me. She liked Donny Osmond just like….okay, I liked Tony DeFranco. I was jealous because she got to kiss Leif Garrett, date Scott Baio, be in a movie with Burt Reynolds, be in a really bad movie with Chris Atkins, and more. Oh yeah, she had a hottie for a brother. Jimmy McNichol was an underrated teen idol. He was hot. I guess that’s one of only a few differences between me and Kristy McNichol. My brothers aren’t hot.
Kristy McNichol (Christina Ann McNichol) was born in Los Angeles, CA on September 11, 1962. Her parents divorced when she was quite young. Kristy and brother Jimmy were often left to fend for themselves while their actress mom went on auditions. Soon the kids were doing commercials here and there. Kristy’s first TV role was a guest spot on Love, American Style. Her first regular role was in the Walton’s copy cat show, Apple’s Way. I first learned of Kristy in this show as I was watching it to look at Vincent Van Patten. He was yummy.
I believe Kristy McNichol is best known for her role as Buddy Lawrence on the TV show Family. (Isn’t Buddy a dog’s name?) This is the show where LEIF GARRETT played her boyfriend. OMG!! How lucky can one be? Oh yeah, a few years later she got to DO IT with Matt Dillon in the movie Little Darlings. Lucky! Her last main TV show before retiring from show business was Empty Nest. Other TV shows and movies she appeared in are:
- The Bionic Woman with Lindsay Wagner
- The Love Boat with Scott Baio and Robert Reed
- Me and Dad’s New Wife, an ABC Afterschool Special with Lance Kerwin, Leif Garrett, and Jimmy McNichol.
- Starsky and Hutch with David Soul and Paul Michael Glaser.
- The End with Burt Reynolds, Sally Field, and Robby Benson.
- Little Darlings with Matt Dillon and Tatum O’Neal.
- The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia with Dennis Quaid and Mark Hamill.
- The Pirate Movie with Christopher Atkins.
- Children of the Bride with Jack Coleman and Patrick Duffy.
Like many teen actors, Kristy and her brother Jimmy became singers! Hey, if you add enough background vocals and other crap to the mix, anyone can sound good. I think they had their own TV special where they sang and danced. It was cute, but somewhat pathetic.
KRISTY MCNICHOL TRIVIA
- She was considered for the role of Amanda Whurlitzer in the 1976 movie Bad News Bears but lost out to Tatum O’Neal (who she later starred with in Little Darlings).
- She turned down the Jodie Foster role of Iris in the 1976 movie Taxi Driver.
- She turned down the Brooke Shields role of Violet in the 1978 movie Pretty Baby.
- George Clooney and Brad Pitt have admitted to having crushes on her when they were younger.
Kristy McNichol retired from acting in the early 90’s when she was diagnosed with bipolar disorder. She was doing an Andy Gibb and having attendance problems, storming off the set, etc. Being a star and all, most people just assumed she had a drug problem. It was at that time she was diagnosed with her disorder. Kristy don’t do no drugs! She’s a good girl just like me.
She came out in early 2012 and told People magazine that she had been living with her girlfriend since the early 90’s. I still don’t understand why anyone has to “come out”. It’s nobody’s business, but Kristy did it to help young people who were being bullied because of their sexuality. Way to go, Kristy.
I believe Kristy is currently living in Los Angeles. She has taught acting, done some voiceover work, and donated a lot of time to charity. Kristy is a class act and I hope she’s enjoying her life outside of the spotlight. I’m still a fan……but still way jealous that she got to kiss all those cute boys.
Click here to see my Kristy items. Hope to see you again soon!