You Light Up My Life
You Light Up My Life by Debby Boone was the number one song on this day in the U.S. in 1977. There are few songs I dislike more than this one. I may have liked it when it first came out, but good god, did they have to play it so often? It was overkill.
You Light Up My Life was written by Joe Brooks and was originally recorded by Kasey Cisyk for the You Light Up My Life movie. I didn’t know there was a movie. Did you? Didi Conn (Frenchie from Grease) starred in this movie and lip synched the song.
The most popular version was performed by Debby Boone (Pat Boone’s daughter) in 1977. The song was written as a romantic love song but Debby interpreted it as a message to God. Okay. You Light Up My Life was the biggest hit of the 1970’s and spent ten consecutive weeks at number one. Gag me.
My mom just loved this song. I think she still does. (FYI, my mom is the most awesome person in the entire world.) I bought Mom a music box that played You Light Up My Life and I believe she still has it. I’m such a wonderful daughter. Mom likes me best. I’m the favorite.
- The Bee Gees were the ones to knock You Light Up My Life out of the number one spot after ten weeks with How Deep Is Your Love (Saturday Night Fever soundtrack). Praise Jesus.
- The man who wrote this song (Joe Brooks) was indicted in 2009 on 91 counts of rape. Yikes! In 2011 while awaiting trial, Brooks committed suicide.
- Debby Boone won the 1978 Grammy for Best New Artist.
- LeAnn Rimes released You Light Up My Life in 1997. It did okay, but no cover has come close to the Debby Boone success.
- Other cool people who have covered this song are Kenny Rogers, Johnny Mathis, Whitney Houston, and Westlife.
So, yeah. You Light Up My Life was a big song in the 70’s. It’s still considered one of the top 100 best songs ever. Whatever. I should start a list of the most annoying and overplayed songs. Topping my list would be You Light Up My Life, Macarena, Baby, Gangnam Style, YMCA, and…… What song is at the top of your most annoying song list?