Well hey there groovy chick. My name is Johnny Bravo, aka Greg Brady, aka Barry Williams, aka Mr. Big Dick. I think Barry Williams likes to look at himself in the mirror a lot. I could be completely wrong about that, but probably not. I’ve always sensed this big dick attitude about him. He seems like a nice person. I don’t think he’s a jerk or a mean person. I just think he’s oblivious to the big dick persona he portrays. He’s probably a very sweet person.
Barry Williams was born Barry William Blenkhorn on September 30, 1954 in Santa Monica, California. He was the annoying neighbor of Peter Graves. Barry often pestered him about how he could become an actor. Barry convinced his parents to get him an acting coach and when he was 11, changed his name to Barry Williams. Really? But why? Blenkhorn is so damn sexy.
Barry Williams had bit parts on The Mod Squad, Here Come the Brides, and Adam-12 before getting his role of groovy Greg Brady on The Brady Bunch. I thought Greg was a bit of a turd. I don’t recall him ever being sweet. He was kind of all about himself. Mmm…..interesting. I wonder how hard it was for Barry Williams to “get into” that part.
Greg Brady Trivia
- Greg never got to kiss any of the girls he dated. Bobby had the only kissing scene of the kids. He laid a wet one on Melissa Sue Anderson in the final season.
- Greg was the only kid to appear in every episode.
- Barry did his own surfing scenes as Greg Brady. He was actually hurt during the one scene in Hawaii where he disappears. Filming was suspended while he recovered. Oops.
- He was a Silver Platter. They had groovy clothes and far out dances. Kind of reminded me of Little House on the Prairie does Broadway.
- He played in a band called The Banana Convention with his buddy Tommy. That was the episode where he smoked. Bad boy!
- Don Drysdale gave Greg a big head about baseball.
- He stole a goat.
- Greg fell in love with his math teacher.
- Greg was a delivery boy for Mike and Sam. He sucked at both. The young lad lost important papers for Mike and got locked in Sam’s freezer.
- He was nicknamed Greggie by some hoochie mama who was using him.
- Greg sang a groovy song that went something like: Clowns never laughed before, Bean stocks never grew, Ponies never ran before, Till I met you
After The Brady Bunch ended, Barry had parts on Three’s Company, General Hospital, and Highway to Heaven. I know he’s also done a lot of Broadway shows including West Story Story, Grease, and The Sound of Music. He shows up on other people’s shows every so often. I saw him on Chris Knight‘s reality show, Celebrity Rehab, and Dancing with the Stars.
Barry Williams Trivia
- His Growing Up Brady book spent more than three months on the New York Times bestseller list. I bought it and read it.
- Is an American Idol fan.
- Barry Williams lost to Danny Bonaduce in a celebrity boxing match. Of course he did. Danny is a bad ass.
- Maureen McCormick (Marcia Brady) once said that out of all six Brady kids, Barry was the most enthusiastic and ambitious. I think that’s code for he was a horndog and wanted to get into my pants.
- Chris Knight (Peter Brady) was his best man at his first wedding.
- Barry has said that if he could have kept anything from The Brady Bunch set, it would have been the wooden rocking horse in the living room.
- Adam Brody portrays Greg Brady in the movie Growing Up Brady.
- Barry Williams is/was friends with Debbie Gibson.
- Barry was married to Diane Martin from 1990 until 1992. He was then married to Eila May Matt from 1999 until 2006.
- Barry Williams has a son (Brandon) from his second marriage.
- As of this writing [November 2018], Barry Williams is the oldest living Brady Bunch member.
I saw Barry Williams live about ten years ago at the state fair. It was a teen idols reunion thing. I went there mainly to see Leif Garrett and Ian Mitchell (Bay City Rollers). The Cowsills were also there and K.C. and the Sunshine Band. Barry was kind of the host of the show. He was entertaining. Ian said something about him being the daddy of the group and how he made sure everything went smoothly.
Barry Williams is now living in Branson, Missouri. I wonder if he knows the Osmond Brothers. I think he’s doing a lot of theatre there. He’s on his third marriage and is married to Tina Mahina. That sounds made up. Does Tina Mahina know George Glass?
Barry Williams seems like such a nice guy but there’s just something about him that rubs me the wrong way. Does anyone else feel this way? The Greg Brady line “Hey there groovy chick” seems to fit Barry as well. But what do I know……