He was Mrs. Paula Abdul, he’s big brother to Charlie Sheen (Carlos Estevez), he was a Mighty Duck, and he was a member of the Brat Pack. Emilio Estevez was born on May 12, 1962 in New York but moved to Malibu when he was six years old. Dad Martin Sheen and brother Charlie chose the stage name “Sheen”. Emilio kept the family name of Estevez so as not to ride on his father’s coattails. I think he’s cool to have kept his original name. He also thought the E.E. initials were pretty. I get that. My favorite number is 11 because I think that’s pretty.
I guess Emilio is most known for his role of Gordon Bombay in The Mighty Ducks movies. I’ve never seen these movies. Aren’t they kid movies? I know Emilio best from The Breakfast Club and St. Elmo’s Fire. I also remember him as a friend of Tommy Howell‘s big brother (played by Rob Lowe) in The Outsiders. My favorite role of his though was as Detective Bill Reimers in the Stakeout movies. I think he has great comedic chops. His laugh and other things about him remind me of an old boyfriend. Maybe that’s why I like him so much.
Emilio seems to me to be kind of quiet and shy. Unlike brother Charlie, I think he likes to stay out of the spotlight. He seems like a very sweet and kind hearted person. I just talked to my friend and she confirmed this. My friend auditioned for Emilio to be Demi Moore’s double in the movie Wisdom back in the 80’s. She said he was so nice to her. She got the job BTW.
- He was married to Paula Abdul for two years in the 90’s.
- He was engaged to Demi Moore at one time.
- Emilio was close friends with Rob Lowe, Chad Lowe, Chris Penn, and Sean Penn as a kid.
- Is friends with Jon Bon Jovi.
- Lost his virginity at 14 on the set of Apocalypse Now. Bow chick a bow wow.
- He was originally cast as Bender in The Breakfast Club. That role went to Judd Nelson.
- He says playing Andrew in The Breakfast Club was one of his favorite roles.
- Emilio dated Mimi Rogers in the early 80’s and was then the best man at her wedding to Tom Cruise in 1987.
- He has a son and a daughter with a former girlfriend.
- He was one of the original members of the brat pack of the 80’s with Judd Nelson, Molly Ringwald, Rob Lowe, Andrew McCarthy, Mare Winningham, Anthony Michael Hall, Ally Sheedy, and Demi Moore.
- Young Emilio didn’t get along at all with little brother Charlie when they were kids. I wonder if Charlie was “winning” back then.
- He was the original actor for the role of Chris in Platoon. Production was shut down for two years so he bailed. Little bro Charlie got the part instead. Sloppy seconds.
- He used to make his own wine at his winery, Casa Dumetz. Cool.
Emilio became engaged to girlfriend Sonja Magdevski in 2006. “On our first date, I dug the holes and she planted the vines,” Emilio explained. “There was never any grandiose plan to start a winery.” Things just kind of happened and Casa Dumetz Wines began in 2004. Emilio and Sonja ran the winery for over a decade before splitting up. Estevez sold the vineyard in 2016.
Emilio Estevez’ two children (now grown) are both doing quite well. Son Taylor is a stuntman in Hollywood while daughter Paloma is a professional drummer. Very cool.
IMDB shows that he purchased a home in Cincinnati, Ohio in 2017. I don’t know if that’s where he lives now but he seems the type to not want to be in Los Angeles. Estevez wrote, directed, and starred in The Public which was released earlier this year. This movie takes place in Cincinnati so maybe that has something to do with the home purchase. He’s still creating and doing his thing. He’s just not in the limelight.
So, yeah…..I like Emilio Estevez. He’s part of my childhood and he seems like a nice guy. I wish him great success with any acting, writing, directing, wine making, and anything else he wants to do in life. He’s one of those people who make Hollywood not look so bad.
I’ll leave you with an Andrew Clark quote from The Breakfast Club: We’re all pretty bizarre. Some of us are just better at hiding it, that’s all.