Even though he was a singer with the Funky Bunch in the beginning and also a lovely underwear model, I really know Marky Mark Wahlberg as an actor. I first became familiar with the name Mark Wahlberg when I saw a sexy little movie called Boogie Nights. Bow chicka bow wow.
Mark Robert Michael Wahlberg was a bad boy growing up on the streets in Boston, Massachusetts. He was the youngest of eight brothers and sisters, and often found himself in trouble. As a teen (after his parents had divorced), Mark got into lots of fights, abused drugs and alcohol, and stole cars. Sounds about right. He threw rocks at a bunch of black kids on a field and shouted racial slurs at them. Not cool, dude. The N word is my least favorite word in the world. I absolutely hate that word. Marky Mark also beat up a couple of Vietnamese guys while robbing a pharmacy. He permanently blinded one of the guys in one eye. Such a nice rap star. He was tried as an adult in that case and charged with attempted murder. He served a little bit of time and then beat up some more people.
Marky Mark was part of the original line up of New Kids on the Block when he was 13. He didn’t like the bubblegum pop crap the group was doing so he quit. His departure left an open spot that was filled by fan favorite, Joey McIntyre. While NKOTB was reaching superstardom, Marky Mark was beating up old Asian people and stealing cars. Big brother Donnie and fellow KNOTB member Danny Wood got Marky off the streets by producing a single for him. The single, Good Vibrations, was a number one hit for Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch. Marky liked to get naked on stage when performing. It wasn’t uncommon at all for him to drop his pants at a concert. He ended up modeling underwear for Calvin Klein. Yum.
After his singing and modeling career, Marky Mark took up acting. It’s rare for celebrities to have successful singing, modeling, and acting careers, but Marky was one of the exceptions. He has over 60 acting credits to his name since he started acting in the early 90’s.
Favorite Mark Wahlberg Movies
- The Basketball Diaries with Leo DiCaprio.
- Boogie Nights with Burt Reynolds.
- The Perfect Storm with George Clooney.
- Rock Star with Jennifer Anniston and Blas Elias.
- Invincible – My favorite!
- The Departed with Leonardo DiCaprio, Matt Damon, and Jack Nicholson.
- Mark is married to Rhea Durham and they have four children together.
- He was originally cast as Linus Caldwell in Ocean’s Eleven but dropped out. That role went to Matt Damon.
- Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch debuted on The Arsenio Hall Show in 1989.
- Mark’s sister Debbie died the same day his first child was born.
- He has a Bob Marley tattoo on his left shoulder, Sylvester and Tweety on his ankle, his initials on his right arm, and the rosary around his neck.
- He is good friends with Leo DiCaprio.
- Mark Wahlberg was booked on one of the planes that crashed into the twin towers on 9/11. He changed his flight at the last minute. That one makes you think.
- He spent a few months in the House of Correction in Massachusetts when he was a kid.
- He was a drug dealer as a kid.
- Mark Wahlberg dropped out of school when he was 13.
- He was considered for Jake Gyllenhaal’s role in Brokeback Mountain. Mark was uncomfortable with the movie’s sex scenes, so he turned down the role. It would be ironic for him to play a homosexual. Maybe he could bully and beat himself up.
- Mark co-owns the restaurant Wahlburgers with his brothers Donnie and Paul.
- He is apparently excited that LeBron James is going to become a Los Angeles Laker [July 2018]. I’m thrilled that LeBron is not going to be a Golden State Warrior.
The Mature Mark
Marky Mark (which I’m assuming he hates being called now that he’s pushing 50) turned out okay. I’ve seen him on Ellen (I love her!) and he seems like a decent guy. He had his troubled past but has emerged from that to become a serious actor and devoted father. He is actively involved in charity work and has established the Mark Wahlberg Youth Foundation to raise funds for youth service and enrichment programs. I still love looking at those old shirtless pinups of him onstage, but I enjoy him even more in his movies. Here’s to lots more acting jobs for the mature Mark Wahlberg.Follow Me On...